Can You Get a Conviction off of Your Criminal Record?

Published: February 14, 2014 в 5:35 pm


gavel and bookYou’ve been arrested, charged, and convicted of a crime. You’ve done your time and paid your debt to society. Now, you want to move forward with your life, unencumbered by your past mistakes. Yet for ex-criminals, it isn’t always that easy. Your criminal record follows you wherever you go, interfering with job opportunities, housing, and even relationships.

When this occurs, it is important to contact an experienced Denver criminal defense attorney to review your legal options. Depending on your conviction, you may be able to have your conviction removed from your criminal record or have your record sealed. There are limitations and the process is not an easy one. As such, it is best to consult with a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible to begin clearing your record, so you can get your life back on track.

Felony Removal from Criminal Record in Colorado

The state of Colorado allows for adults who have been convicted of a misdemeanor or a felony to have their records sealed under certain circumstances. You may have to wait up to 10 years before you can have this done, however. Once your criminal record is sealed, you are legally allowed to tell future employers that no such record exists. Your past mistakes are effectively erased and you slate wiped clean.

One possible way you can petition the court to have your criminal records sealed is if you were part of a dismissed case. This occurs when the charges were dismissed against you, yet still show up on your record when employers do a background check. This alone can prevent you from obtaining employment—even when you were never convicted of a crime.

Can Drug Charges be Removed?

Some drug convictions can also be sealed—even if you were found guilty at trial. This includes most misdemeanors and some felony convictions. Employers and other agencies that may be performing a background check on you do not look favorably on drug convictions on a criminal record. Don’t let past drug mistakes lead to future troubles.

Luckily, juvenile records are eligible to be expunged even if they were found guilty of the charge. This allows children the chance to escape their past and move forward into a better future without their criminal record following them.

Unfortunately, not all criminal records are allowed to be sealed or expunged. In addition, if you are required to register as a sex offender, this cannot be undone. An experienced Denver criminal defense lawyer can review your criminal history and determine if you are eligible to have your record sealed.


Contact Denver Criminal Defense Law Firm

Denver Criminal Defense AttorneyIf you have been arrested and charged with a drug crime in Denver, Boulder, or anywhere in Colorado, call Steven Louth Law Offices at 303-442-2297 today for a free case evaluation. No matter how serious the charges are against you, there are ways to fight them. Call today!

contact us

Time is of the essence. Don’t answer another question without your attorney.
24/7 Confidential Contact Form