University of Colorado Students and Judicial Affairs

When an individual is charged with a crime and involved in the legal system his or her life can drastically change. When this individual is a student, the judicial affairs office at the University of Colorado is notified and receives the police reports. An investigator from the office conducts an investigation and hands out sanctions. Depending on the severity of the alleged crime, sanctions can include community service, substance abuse classes, decision making seminar, probation, suspension, and even expulsion from the University.

In the criminal courts, a jury must find the accused guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. This is a high standard of proof designed to prevent wrongful convictions. Judicial affairs use a different standard of proof called preponderance of evidence. This means if the investigator finds it is more likely than not that the alleged offense occurred, the individual will be found guilty. An individual accused of a crime has a couple options when discussing the case with the judicial affairs investigator. The individual can deny the offense occurred, deny the offense in part, meaning dispute some of the allegations, or admit to the offense and state how he or she will rectify the situation.

Going through the judicial affairs process can be intimidating. Boulder judicial affairs attorney Steven Louth has handled hundreds of cases from University of Colorado students and knows how the judicial affairs process works. He can advise the best course of action to take when meeting with the investigator. He can also accompany you to the judicial affairs meeting, and although he cannot speak on your behalf, he can recommend what to disclose and what questions not to answer. Many clients feel more comfortable having a Boulder judicial affairs attorney accompany them to this meeting.

Contact Mr. Louth before going to judicial affairs to help minimize the sanctions from the University.

contact us

Time is of the essence. Don’t answer another question without your attorney.
24/7 Confidential Contact Form