Our favorite celebrities are always in the news. Sometimes they are being recognized for extraordinary achievements, professional awards, or their humanitarian efforts. Other times the recognition might not be so coveted- say for example when a less-than-flattering mug shot is pasted all over the internet after a DUI arrest. Like us, celebrities are not above the law. When they drive intoxicated, they too can get arrested. Here are some of the more notable celebrity DUI arrests:
- Michael Phelps: The world’s best swimmer of all time was arrested and charged with DUI in September 2014 in Baltimore. Phelps was clocked at 84 mph in a 45 mph zone in the early hours of the morning when Maryland Transit Authority police pulled him over. Subsequently, Phelps failed multiple field sobriety tests.
- Debbie Gibson: The former pop sensation-turned-councilwoman was arrested for DUI in 2007 after she rear-ended a Toyota Corolla with her silver Infiniti. No one was seriously injured, and the mayor drove Gibson home after her bail was posted.
- George W. Bush: Former Commander in Chief, George W. Bush, was arrested for DUI in Kennebunkport, Maine when he was 30 years old. Bush pled guilty to the DUI.
- Lindsay Lohan: The talented child star has had so many brushes with the law an entire list could be devoted to her. However, her trouble seemed to really begin in 2007 when she was arrested for DUI twice.
- Paris Hilton: Paris was arrested in 2006 after Los Angeles law enforcement caught the hotel empire heiress driving erratically through the streets of Hollywood. Hilton landed a $1500 fine, a suspended license, and 36 months’ probation.
- Diana Ross: Diva Diana Ross was arrested in 2002 when field sobriety tests recorded her BAC at nearly triple the legal limit. Arizona police carted her off to jail when she could not accurately write down the alphabet or list numbers sequentially.
- Haley Joel Osmet: Adorable former child actor, Haley Joel Osmet was arrested in 2006 after hitting a mailbox and flipping his vehicle. He was uninjured, paid a fine, and attended mandatory AA meetings.
- Tim Allen: Favorite TV dad and comedian, Tim Allen, was arrested in 1997 for racing his Ferrari while intoxicated. Allen paid a fine and received probation and counseling.
- Mel Gibson: Movie icon and producer, Mel Gibson, had his reputation forever tarnished in 2006 when he went ballistic during his arrest for DUI. He went to rehab, attended AA for 12 months, and received license restrictions and three years of probation.
- Nick Nolte: Despite a long list of acting accolades, Nick Nolte could be best remembered for his 2002 DUI arrest in California. CHP witnessed Nolte crossing into oncoming traffic as he drove his Mercedes on the Pacific Coast Highway.
A DUI in Boulder is Serious
Boulder police are serious when it comes to keeping their roads free of drunk drivers. Each year, Boulder police create DUI checkpoints and arrest hundreds of drivers for DUI. Yet these arrests are not always accurate or legal. Field sobriety tests are notoriously inaccurate and subjective – and even breathalyzer results have been skewed because of improper usage or calibration. For example, arresting officers must ensure that you do not burp prior to blowing into a breathalyzer.
If you are arrested and charged with DUI in Boulder, Denver, or anywhere in the State of Colorado, you will face serious consequences and penalties, including the loss of your driver’s license. An experienced Boulder DUI defense attorney can help you keep your license and can even have the charges reduced to a lesser offense. Even if your BAC results are less than favorable, it is important to contact an experienced attorney immediately to protect your rights.
Contact Our Boulder DUI Defense Attorneys
If you have been arrested for DUI in Boulder, contact the Boulder criminal defense lawyers at Steven Louth Law Offices today for a free consultation and review of your case. Call us at (303) 422-2297 to start building a solid defense against these serious criminal charges.