Most drivers don’t truly understand how devastating a DUI arrest can be. Despite the fact that DUI arrests in Colorado are an unfortunately common occurrence, few understand how those charges can alter their lives.
DUI convictions come with harsh penalties and consequences that can adversely affect every aspect of your life, including your job, your relationships, and your lifestyle.
Legal Consequences of a DUI in Colorado
In the state of Colorado, anyone over the age of 21 who is caught driving with a BAC of 0.08% or higher will be arrested and charged with DUI. This will result in the automatic suspension of your driver’s license for up to one year. If this is your first offense, you will face a mandatory minimum of a 5-day jail sentence with up to a maximum of 1 year in jail. You will also face fines up to $1000 and a mandatory 48 hours of useful public service. You may even be subjected to 2 years of court ordered probation.
A DUI conviction in Colorado is forever and you cannot have a DUI expunged from your record unless you get the charges dismissed completely.
Life Consequences of a DUI in Colorado
Not only will you face serious legal consequences if you are convicted of DUI, but you will face numerous personal consequences, including:
- Insurance companies will raise your insurance rates significantly. In some cases, it may become unaffordable. SR-22 insurance is required for 3 years
- Unable to drive to and from work, school, or outings. This can significantly impact your ability to work in your chosen profession and support your family
- DUI convictions will appear in all background checks causing you to lose employment opportunities or financial aid for college
- Adversely affect your personal relationships and your reputation in the community
- Potential to affect child custody cases or visitation rights
- Possible life or health insurance increases
- Possible ignition interlock device on vehicle for up to 2 years
- Professional licenses could be revoked
- Loss of ability to drive company-issued vehicles
- Rental car companies can deny vehicles to individuals convicted of DUI
- Concealed weapons permits can be denied
- Military career over or future advancement denied
- Loss of job if a teacher, military, truck driver, pilot, or sports athlete
Contact Our Boulder DUI Defense Lawyers
When you’ve been arrested and charged with a DUI in Boulder, you need an experienced Boulder criminal defense lawyer that can help protect your driving record and your future. Contact the Boulder DUI defense lawyers at Steven Louth Law Offices today for a free consultation and review of your case. Call us at (303) 422-2297 immediately!